Research Associate I, Gene Editing
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is a leading, clinical-stage gene therapy company founded in 2001 based on the work of adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy visionary and pioneer, Jude Samulski, PhD. Since that time, our commitment to developing life-saving medicines that can potentially cure genetic diseases has never wavered.
At AskBio, we’ve built a foundation of therapeutic programs, AAV manufacturing and a rich portfolio of patented technology. Our therapeutic focus includes neuromuscular, central nervous system, cardiovascular and metabolic diseases with clinical trials underway for Pompe disease, Parkinson’s disease, and congestive heart failure. Our gene therapy platform includes Pro10™, an industry-leading proprietary cell line manufacturing process, and an extensive AAV capsid and promoter library.
We became a wholly-owned, independently operated, subsidiary of Bayer AG in late 2020 as a cornerstone of its newly formed Cell & Gene Therapy (CGT) platform. Our global headquarters is in Research Triangle Park, NC. Additionally, we have significant operations in Philadelphia, PA, Columbus, OH, Scotland, France, and Spain.
Our vision: Pioneering science to create transformative molecular medicines.
Our mission: Lead innovative science and drive clinical outcomes to transform people’s lives.
- Advance innovative science by pushing boundaries.
- Bring transformative therapeutics to patients in need.
- Provide an environment for employees to reach their fullest potential.
- Be a Pioneer. We are not afraid of the impossible and to innovate to make gene therapies accessible to those in need.
- Cultivate Collaboration. Strive to be the best teammate, actively listen, openly communicate, and embrace diverse points of view.
- Embrace Responsibility. We are humbled by the enormity of our mission. We hold a relentless commitment to advance science and clinical outcomes for our patients, families, and caregivers.
- Raise the Bar. Continuously drive improvements and efficiencies. Seek and provide constructive feedback. Have a bias for learning and action.
- Act with Uncompromising Integrity. Be honest, transparent, and committed to doing what’s right in every situation. Make clear commitments and follow through.
We have an opportunity for a Research Associate I, Gene Editing to join the AskBio team and be part of our continued success!
The Research Associate I, Gene Editing, reporting to the Scientist II, Therapeutic Gene Editing Platforms, will help us develop and discover next-generation gene therapies utilizing, state-of-the-art AAV and gene editing technologies. This position will conduct experiments to support our Gene Editing pre-clinical development program as part of the R&D department. The ideal candidate will have direct experience with quantitative molecular biology techniques, including plasmid cloning, isolation of DNA, RNA, and protein from cells and tissues, quantitative PCR, RT-PCR, ELISA, SDS-PAGE, and Western Blot. The candidate should have a clear understanding of AAV mediated gene therapy and gene editing technologies, including CRISPR; however, prior research experience in these technologies is not required. The position is based at AskBio’s RTP, NC Headquarters Facility.
- Perform plasmid purification, genomic DNA extraction, RNA extraction, PCR, and qPCR assays.
- Conduct molecular cloning experiments, including restriction enzyme digestion, ligation, DNA assembly, transformation.
- Perform in vitro cell-based assays, plasmid transfection, AAV transduction, primary cell culture, and flow-cytometry.
- Perform data analysis and effectively communicate results in formal reports and presentations for technical discussions and/ or investigations with internal and external stakeholders.
- Generate detailed experimental protocols and maintain an electronic laboratory notebook recording experiments according to good documentation and data integrity practices.
- Maintain inventories and/or place orders of reagents and materials needed for the assigned projects allowing for timely execution of related lab work.
- Ensure lab areas are clean, organized and equipment, supplies and raw materials are available for use.
Required Education and Experience
- BS degree in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry with 1-3 years research experience.
- Hands-on Experience in molecular biology techniques such as plasmid cloning, DNA/RNA isolation, SDS-PAGE, and Western blot.
Preferred Experience and Skills
- Clear understanding of AAV based gene therapy, and/or gene editing technologies.
- Prior experience in cell line maintenance.
- Excellent technical lab skills with the ability to assume independent ownership of protocols/experiments including the implementation of experiments.
- Ability to multitask among multiple projects and teams, and work independently in a fast-paced, highly interactive environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to maintain formal documentation.
- Ability to innovate and use good judgment to achieve a solution.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected status prohibited under Federal, State or local laws. All employment decisions are based on valid job‐related requirements. If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our website, you may request a reasonable accommodation to express interest in a specific opening by calling us at (919) 561-6210 or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.