The Accounting Manager will provide general accounting support and management for AskBio’s rapidly growing business. This person is critical to ensuring that the Company’s internal control processes are being followed, as well as recommend process improvements as needed.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Assist in completing technical accounting research in the areas of consolidations, lease accounting, revenue recognition and stock options. Create memos and necessary documentation to support accounting positions.
- Manage month-end close procedures and create schedules, calculations and journal entries for transactions in accordance with U.S. GAAP. The Company requires a 10-day month end close schedule.
- Provide input and guidance regarding accounting treatment and processes for general transactions within the Finance department.
- Perform documentation of internal controls, processes and procedures, and ensure compliance with all applicable procedures, including management of vendor credit approval inquiries.
- Assist in preparing financial statements and other internal reports.
- Assist with annual financial statement audit by compiling data requests and communication with auditors.
- Assist with tax-related tasks by compiling data requests with external tax accountants, filing state use tax returns, and completing 1099 forms.
- Identify and evaluate potential ways to use technologies to automate accounting processes without sacrificing accuracy and accountability.
- Communicate issues that impact financial reporting to the appropriate team members.
- Other ad hoc requests.
- Provide active guidance for a minimum of two direct reports on a daily basis.
- Master’s degree in accounting or equivalent with a CPA (preferred) and a minimum of 5 years of related experience, preferably in the life-sciences industry, with a proven track record of business financial acumen
- Public accounting experience with Big 4 or national accounting firm (preferred)
- In-depth understanding and experience with U.S. GAAP, accounting and tax practices, and financial control systems for a venture-funded corporation
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Experience implementing accounting software (preferred)
- Ability to multi-task among multiple projects and teams and work independently, as well as in a collaborative/group environment
- Self-motivated, organized, and capable of working independently as well as in a collaborative/group environment
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively with people, internally and externally
- Positive attitude with ability to provide timely, positive customer service to internal customers outside finance organization
- Possesses the ability to make educated accounting judgements supportable and based on any/all evidence available
This position requires the ability to act independently and take initiative with minimal supervision.
This role requires a minimum of 40 regular working hours (9am – 5pm) per week with an increase in work hours during deadlines (i.e. month-end close, project deadlines, etc.).
Must be able to tolerate normal office climatic conditions associated with daily activities.