Biotech Patent Agent/Attorney
We are a gene therapy company changing lives with every genetic advancement.
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is a leading, clinical-stage gene therapy company founded in 2001 based on the work of adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy visionary and pioneer, Jude Samulski, PhD. Since that time, our commitment to developing life-saving medicines that cure genetic diseases has never wavered.
As the only end-to-end gene therapy company in the industry, we’ve built a foundation of therapeutic programs, AAV manufacturing and a rich portfolio of patented technology. Our therapeutic focus includes neuromuscular, central nervous system, cardiovascular and metabolic diseases with clinical trials underway for Pompe disease, Parkinson’s disease and congestive heart failure. Our gene therapy platform includes Pro10™, an industry-leading proprietary cell line manufacturing process, and an extensive AAV capsid and promoter library.
We became a wholly owned, independently operated subsidiary of Bayer AG in late 2020 as a cornerstone of its newly formed Cell & Gene Therapy Platform. Our global headquarters are in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, a thriving biotechnology hub, and we maintain additional research and development operations in Scotland and France and gene therapy manufacturing in Spain.
We have an opportunity for a Biotech Patent Agent/Attorney to join the AskBio team. This position can be remote.
About the role
We are seeking an exceptional patent attorney or agent to join our IP team based in Boston, MA. Reporting to the Chief Intellectual Property Officer, you will join a small but expanding team of IP professionals to support both the clinical and R&D arms of AskBio. The successful candidate should have meaningful experience in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications, invention capture, landscape and patentability analyses, and informal freedom-to-operate opinions, each within a biotechnology field. Responsibilities will be commensurate with experience.
Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Identify patentable inventions through collaboration with internal R&D and clinical project teams
- Prepare landscape analyses to support clinical pipeline development
- Prepare patentability analyses, as well as review proposed publications and presentations for potential impact on patent portfolio
- Preparation and analysis of freedom-to-operate searches; formulate informal opinions to support R&D pipeline programs and business development opportunities
- Monitor competitive intellectual property on an ongoing basis
- Revise and draft patent applications with outside counsel
- Facilitate and monitor patent prosecution and strategic development
- Maintain a docket of company internal IP related tasks and ensure completion
- PhD in biochemistry, biology, molecular biology, immunology preferred
- Admitted to practice before the US Patent and Trademark Office
- Admitted to practice before at least one state bar (for attorney position)
- 3+ years, up to 8-10 years, of industry or law firm experience (biotechnology industry experience preferred)
- Preference may be given to candidates who have practiced patent law at a highly regarded law firm. In addition, ideal candidates will have significant research or technical experience in molecular biology, virology, gene therapy, immunology, and/or gene editing fields
- Strong oral and written communication skills are essential; proficient in MS Office suite
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills
- Strong attention to detail, flexibility and strong organizational skills
- Should be a self-starter and independent performer; should be able to effectively handle multiple matters and adept at adjusting priorities when required
- Strong ability to work independently, as well as strong ability to work as part of a team
Live an AskLife™
We offer a competitive total rewards package. Are you our next great discovery?