Cell Line Development Scientist/Senior Scientist (UK)
We are a gene therapy company changing lives with every genetic advancement.
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is a leading, clinical-stage gene therapy company founded in 2001 based on the work of adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy visionary and pioneer, Jude Samulski, PhD. Since that time, our commitment to developing life-saving medicines that cure genetic diseases has never wavered.
As the only end-to-end gene therapy company in the industry, we’re built a foundation of therapeutic programs, AAV manufacturing and a rich portfolio of patented technology. Our therapeutic focus includes neuromuscular, central nervous system, cardiovascular and metabolic diseases with clinical trials underway for Pompe disease, Parkinson’s disease and congestive heart failure. Our gene therapy platform includes Pro10™, an industry-leading proprietary cell line manufacturing process, and an extensive AAV capsid and promoter library.
We became a wholly-owned, independently operated subsidiary of Bayer AG in late 2020 as a cornerstone of its newly formed Cell & Gene Therapy Platform. Our global headquarters are in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, a thriving biotechnology hub, and we maintain additional research and development operations in Scotland and France and gene therapy manufacturing in Spain.
We have an opportunity for a Cell Line Development Scientist/Senior Scientist to join the AskBio team in our Edinburgh UK location at the Roslin Innovation Centre and be part of our continued success.
You will join the rapidly expanding R&D team to develop the next-generation cell lines used to produce AAVs for gene therapies. The ideal candidate will have a solid grounding in virology and cell line development. Individuals with specific experience and detailed knowledge of AAV would be of significant interest.
Skills and experience
- Experience with mammalian tissue culture
- Development of stable cell lines (ideally for viral vector production)
- Preparation of adeno-associated virus
- Experience with a variety of cellular and molecular biology techniques such as cloning, RT-PCR, CRISPR, assay development, etc
- Diligent recording of data; high attention to detail; experience with ELN and databases
- An understanding of hypothesis-driven experimentation
- Working in a GLP environment
- Lab management, ensuring appropriate levels of control over scientific data, equipment, and materials, maintaining appropriate levels of documentation, record keeping, and procedures
- Collaboration with the broader team to complete project deliverables
- Interact with senior members of the research team to ensure appropriate experimental design and analysis
- Health & Safety and GMO risk assessments
- Innovative and natural problem solver; able to “join the dots” of disparate information
- Detail oriented and able to perform precise work in the laboratory
- Confident and clear presentation of data, verbally and through written reports
- Effectively manage own time/workload to meet project deliverables with minimal oversight
- Motivated to learn and master new methods and techniques
This role could suit a PhD-qualified candidate with several years of relevant industry experience behind them. Due to the structure of the team, nature of the role, and current growth of the Edinburgh site, we are open to considering candidates with varying levels of industry experience. We would especially welcome applications from individuals with a virology background in gene therapy development.
This is a unique opportunity to join an exciting, rapidly expanding gene therapy company that has a proven history of developing highly effective, life-changing therapies.
You will be joining a highly skilled team with the opportunity to work at the front end of gene regulation and play a vital role in the development of future gene therapy treatments.
You can expect to receive a competitive salary plus additional benefits including, life, critical illness, health, pension, cycle to work, on-site gym, on-site café.
For a confidential discussion, please contact our retained partner, Keith Tocher, at Abercorn Sinclair at Keith.Tocher@abercornsinclair.com.
About Abercorn Sinclair
Abercorn Sinclair is a specialist, technical recruitment consultancy based in Edinburgh. We provide permanent, interim, and contract services across the science, technology, and engineering sectors.