Clinical Immunology Group Lead
We are a gene therapy company changing lives with every genetic advancement.
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is a leading, clinical-stage gene therapy company founded in 2001 based on the work of adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy visionary and pioneer, Jude Samulski, PhD. Since that time, our commitment to developing life-saving medicines that cure genetic diseases has never wavered.
As the only end-to-end gene therapy company in the industry, we’ve built a foundation of therapeutic programs, AAV manufacturing and a rich portfolio of patented technology. Our therapeutic focus includes neuromuscular, central nervous system, cardiovascular and metabolic diseases with clinical trials underway for Pompe disease, Parkinson’s disease and congestive heart failure. Our gene therapy platform includes Pro10™, an industry-leading proprietary cell line manufacturing process, and an extensive AAV capsid and promoter library.
We became a wholly owned, independently operated subsidiary of Bayer AG in late 2020 as a cornerstone of its newly formed Cell & Gene Therapy Platform. Our global headquarters are in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, a thriving biotechnology hub, and we maintain additional research and development operations in Scotland and France and gene therapy manufacturing in Spain.
We have an opportunity for a Clinical Immunology Group Lead to join the AskBio team in our Research Triangle Park (Durham), NC location and be part of our continued success!
About the role
We are seeking a highly motivated Clinical Immunology Group Lead to join our Immunology team. The Group Lead plays a critical role in shaping the immunological monitoring, immunotherapy, biomarker and pipeline strategy across several preclinical and clinical programs. The successful candidate is an immunologist with a background in gene therapy, virology, oncology or vaccines and expertise in drug development across biological platforms. An in-depth knowledge of basic and applied immunology, animal models and systems biology is required, as evidenced by scientific achievements and publications.
The position requires strong leadership skills and the ability to work with cross-functional research teams to successfully execute or support preclinical and clinical programs across the company. The ideal candidate for this position is expected to be an effective team manager and mentor other members of the immunology team to ensure on-time delivery and interpretation of results and drive technical excellence within the Translational Medicine team.
Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Lead the Clinical Immunology Group ensuring that project and program objectives and timelines are met
- Mentor and supervise Scientists and Research Associates
- Lead or facilitate the advancement of specific projects related to characterizing innate and adaptive immune responses and modulating the anti-AAV response
- Manages or develops internal and external immunological capabilities and resources related to methods, technologies and analysis to support program advancement
- Manage out-sourced exploratory immunological methods by being point of contact for CROs and clinical operations
- Lead on-boarding of new platforms and capabilities in translational medicine labs
- Design and supervise the execution of pre-clinical proof-of-concept or proof-of-mechanism immunology studies, providing robust data supporting exploratory immunomodulatory therapies
- Interacts effectively with stakeholders from various disciplines; serves as expert and internal consultant in the immunology of AAV and/or the development of new immunotherapeutic strategies
- Coordinate maintenance of inventories for critical reagents and lab supplies and forecast future needs based on proposed project requirements
- Work closely with other lab-based personnel within immunology, translational medicine and product development functions to ensure optimal laboratory environment (collaboration, culture, safety, etc. in adherence with the AskBio’s values)
- Demonstrate initiative, teamwork, collaboration and technical expertise as an independent and team player
- Follow best practices for data integrity complying with organization and company standard operating procedures in a timely fashion
- PhD in immunology with a minimum of 6 years’ relevant experience in research and/or drug development
- Applied translational expertise in biologics, gene delivery, infectious diseases, oncology and/or vaccines
- Strong knowledge of host target diseases and in vivo preclinical models used to monitor immune responses
- Prior experience with statistical and analytical tools such as Graphpad Prism, Spotfire and JMP is preferred
- Knowledge of, and experience complying with, the regulatory requirements of preclinical and/or immune-toxicological studies needed for clinical advancement
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills and proven ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment
- Must be able to work in BSL2 or more environment
- Must be self-motivated, organized, capable of working independently, as well as a team contributor/leader and possess strong oral and written communication skills. Must possess strong oral and written communication skills. Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively with teams, internally and externally
Live an AskLife™
We offer a competitive total rewards package. Are you our next great discovery?