We are a gene therapy company changing lives with every genetic advancement.
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is a leading, clinical-stage gene therapy company founded in 2001 based on the work of adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy visionary and pioneer, Jude Samulski, PhD. Since that time, our commitment to developing life-saving medicines that cure genetic diseases has never wavered.
As the only end-to-end gene therapy company in the industry, we’ve built a foundation of therapeutic programs, AAV manufacturing and a rich portfolio of patented technology. Our therapeutic focus includes neuromuscular, central nervous system, cardiovascular and metabolic diseases with clinical trials underway for Pompe disease, Parkinson’s disease and congestive heart failure. Our gene therapy platform includes Pro10™, an industry-leading proprietary cell line manufacturing process, and an extensive AAV capsid and promoter library.
We became a wholly owned, independently operated subsidiary of Bayer AG in late 2020 as a cornerstone of its newly formed Cell & Gene Therapy Platform. Our global headquarters are in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, a thriving biotechnology hub, and we maintain additional research and development operations in Scotland and France and gene therapy manufacturing in Spain.
We have an opportunity for a Contract Specialist to join the AskBio team. This position can be remote.
About the role
We are seeking a Contract Specialist to work with our attorneys in creating and managing contracts and other documents to help fulfill AskBio’s mission of creating life-changing cures for patients. This role is responsible for every phase of contract development from researching the legal regulations to negotiating the terms and preparing the print document. He or she may collaborate with a legal team or work independently to evaluate bids and draft documents.
Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Ensure adherence to AskBio’s contract management policies and procedures
- Utilize and complete contract templates for variety of agreements including confidentiality, consulting, master services, etc.
- Identify key contract terms and conditions for categorization
- Collaborate with contract requestors, other business units and the legal team when preparing and negotiating agreements
- Perform mark-ups of counter-party documents
- Conduct negotiations of terms and conditions per SOPs
- Proofread, edit and fact-check contract documents for completion, consistency and accuracy
- Execute electronic and hard copy contract signature processes
- Clearly explain contract terminology to key stakeholders and other interested parties in simple, everyday language
- Self-monitor progress according to the schedule of completion to submit drafts and documents in a timely manner
- Utilize a contract management software system; input and extract system information
- Assist in the tracking of the contract documents (i.e. agreements, amendments, notices, expirations) toward execution, finalization and lifecycle management
- Log contract approvals and development activities according to established SOPs
- Perform regular monitoring of repository/common drive content to ensure accuracy and completeness
- Work with product and finance teams to answer and resolve contractual issues
- Serve as a point of contact for contract-related questions
- Monitor workflow, update any discrepant information and correct overdue items
- Run and distribute contract information reports (weekly, monthly, quarterly)
- Oversee user access to contract management system
- Legal department liaison to IT
- Provide support and training to other team members on contract procedures
- Support entity/subsidiary formation and maintenance
- BS degree or higher in one of numerous possible fields including: science, accounting, business administration, economics, finance, and law to name a few
- 2+ years in-house law/contracting department or law firm experience
- Experience in the healthcare/life sciences industry
- High level of written communication skills
- Ability to identify, analyze and suggest solutions for problems
- Substantial experience in document preparation, editing and revision
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including an impeccable mastery of the English language
- Good organization skills and the ability to multitask on several projects simultaneously
- Knowledge of negotiation best practices, both in-person and written form
- Ability to support multiple team members
- Willingness to work virtually or in an office setting
- Experience reviewing/revising licenses, sponsored research agreements, material transfer agreements a plus
- Experience with intellectual property issues a plus
- Experience with corporate governance, subsidiary formation and maintenance a plus
Live an AskLife™
We offer a competitive total rewards package. Are you our next great discovery?