We are a gene therapy company changing lives with every genetic advancement.
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is a leading, clinical-stage gene therapy company founded in 2001 based on the work of adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy visionary and pioneer, Jude Samulski, PhD. Since that time, our commitment to developing life-saving medicines that cure genetic diseases has never wavered.
As the only end-to-end gene therapy company in the industry, we’ve built a foundation of therapeutic programs, AAV manufacturing and a rich portfolio of patented technology. Our therapeutic focus includes neuromuscular, central nervous system, cardiovascular and metabolic diseases with clinical trials underway for Pompe disease, Parkinson’s disease and congestive heart failure. Our gene therapy platform includes Pro10™, an industry-leading proprietary cell line manufacturing process, and an extensive AAV capsid and promoter library.
We became a wholly owned, independently operated subsidiary of Bayer AG in late 2020 as a cornerstone of its newly formed Cell & Gene Therapy Platform. Our global headquarters are in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, a thriving biotechnology hub, and we maintain additional research and development operations in Scotland and France and gene therapy manufacturing in Spain.
We have an opportunity for a Histologist to join the AskBio team in our Research Triangle Park (Durham), NC location and be part of our continued success!
About the role
AskBio is adding a histologist to our team. This role will have a strong background and experience with cell/gene therapy to provide scientific guidance in the Translational Medicine group to understand AAV-based gene therapies.
Responsibilities & accountabilities
- Independently perform advanced histology (slide QC, special stains, thin/thick sections, IHC, and serial/step sectioning)
- Prepare responses to audits, deviations, and other documentation from internal and external reviews of data
- Perform method development experiments trouble shoot technical challenges, and/or offer solutions to technical challenges
- Prepare study specific procedure documentation
- Assist junior training staff
- May serve as a source for pathology-related study information, which may require attendance of study meetings and/or conduct of meetings
- May independently perform basic necropsy procedures (basic dissection, tissue collection/preservation, fresh tissue trimming, sample collection)
- May assist with and perform specialized necropsy procedures (collection of tissues for special procedures, perfusion fixation, fetal evaluation, specialized dissection, neurodissection, photography, etc.)
- Review documentation of functions performed as part of quality control requirements
- Perform all other related duties as assigned
- PhD in biological sciences or MS in biological sciences with 3+ years’ or BS with 5+ years’ relevant research experience
- Highly self-motivated, team player, with proven and excellent interpersonal skills interacting with multidisciplinary teams
- A strong applicant will have prior relevant industry experience using multiplexing assays, while assay development will be a strong plus
- Experience in histology-based biomarker assay development and validation
Live an AskLife™
We offer a competitive total rewards package. Are you our next great discovery?