In Vivo Pharmacologist
We are a gene therapy company changing lives with every genetic advancement.
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is a leading, clinical-stage gene therapy company founded in 2001 based on the work of adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy visionary and pioneer, Jude Samulski, PhD. Since that time, our commitment to developing life-saving medicines that cure genetic diseases has never wavered.
As the only end-to-end gene therapy company in the industry, we’ve built a foundation of therapeutic programs, AAV manufacturing and a rich portfolio of patented technology. Our therapeutic focus includes neuromuscular, central nervous system, cardiovascular and metabolic diseases with clinical trials underway for Pompe disease, Parkinson’s disease and congestive heart failure. Our gene therapy platform includes Pro10™, an industry-leading proprietary cell line manufacturing process, and an extensive AAV capsid and promoter library.
We became a wholly owned, independently operated subsidiary of Bayer AG in late 2020 as a cornerstone of its newly formed Cell & Gene Therapy Platform. Our global headquarters are in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, a thriving biotechnology hub, and we maintain additional research and development operations in Scotland and France and gene therapy manufacturing in Spain.
We have an opportunity for an In Vivo Pharmacologist to join the AskBio team in our Research Triangle Park (Durham), NC location and be part of our continued success!
About the role
AskBio is seeking an In Vivo Pharmacologist (Scientist 1-3). The pharmacologist will provide scientific guidance and leadership in the preclinical disease animal models of AAV-based gene therapies and work in close collaboration with colleagues in Translational Medicine.
Responsibilities & accountabilities
- Key member on multidisciplinary project teams to represent preclinical biology and define and implement animal models to advance novel candidate molecules
- Design/develop in vivo models of metabolic/CNS/liver diseases to characterize the efficiency of gene therapy constructs
- Conduct or manage in vivo preclinical studies in-house and at contract research organizations (CROs)
- Participate in research project teams to evaluate the mechanism of action of novel candidate molecules and biologic pathways of interest
- Participate in animal dosing, monitoring and necropsy
- Prepare, review, and deliver scientific reports/presentations for internal/external use
- Contribute to the writing of nonclinical sections of regulatory documents (IND, IMPD, IB, briefing packages) including nonclinical pharmacology and toxicology
- Establish and maintain scientific presence amongst the science community by publishing and presenting at scientific conferences
- Between 2-4+ years of experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry in the area of nonclinical drug discovery and/or development
- PhD degree with 2-5+ years of experience or MS degree with 3-6+ years of experience in pharmacology, physiology, animal science, or related discipline
- Experience in working with preclinical CROs
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work in a matrixed environment and develop relationships with key stakeholders
- Excellent communication and presentation skills to efficiently relay information to project teams and other key stakeholders
- Experience with AAV, cell and gene therapies, drug discovery and development desired, but not required
- Proven ability to work independently and be self-motivated
Live an AskLife™
We offer a competitive total rewards package. Are you our next great discovery?