Innate Scientist II-III
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is a privately held, clinical-stage gene therapy company founded in 2001 based on the work of adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy pioneers, Jude Samulski, PhD, and Xiao Xiao, PhD. We are driven to change lives with every clinical advancement and turn hope into cures with new possibilities for genetic medicine. We currently have clinical trials ongoing for late-onset Pompe disease and congestive heart failure.
AskBio is headquartered in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, a thriving biotechnology hub, and has additional research and development facilities in Scotland and France and gene therapy manufacturing in Spain.
We are seeking an Innate Scientist II-III – Translational Medicine to join the AskBio team!
About the role
We are seeking a highly motivated Innate Immunologist to join our growing translational medicine team. The successful candidate will support our discovery efforts, as well as preclinical and clinical AAV gene therapy programs. The ideal candidate will independently design, prosecute and interpret experimental studies that characterize gene therapy candidates and contribute to lead selection/optimization.
- Develop innovative and creative in-vitro, in-vivo or system biology approaches for dissecting complex viral/host interactions
- Design and execute primary cell assays to assess innate sensing of viral DNA/RNA or proteins
- Use relevant preclinical models to test hypothesis and characterize gene therapy candidates in development
- Support internal and external collaborations to increase team capabilities and address strategic needs
- Take initiative to identify and support emerging technical approaches and platforms that may drive increased value for pipeline programs and the translational medicine group
- Assist with the preparation and review of protocols, clinical study reports and translational medicine sections of plans, INDs, manuscripts and technical reports
- Work closely with other lab-based personnel within translational medicine and product development to ensure optimal laboratory environment (collaboration, culture, safety, etc.)
- Demonstrate initiative, teamwork, collaboration and technical expertise as an independent and team player
- Follow best practices for data integrity complying with organization and company standard operating procedures in a timely fashion
- PhD in immunology with 3-4 years of experience in postdoc or industry setting
- Knowledge of AAV biology, including innate sensing of DNA/RNA and viral products
- Expertise in human/murine immunology and various pre-clinical models
- Experience isolating and handling T cells, B cells, DCs and macrophages from human blood and/or mouse spleens or other lymphoid organs
- Broad experience with immunological and molecular principles and techniques including cell-based functional assays, immunophenotyping using multicolor flow cytometry, ELISPOT, ELISA and/or microscopy
- Ability to simultaneously support multiple programs and work in a fast-paced environment
- Innovative, self-motivated and detail-oriented with good problem-solving ability
- Must be able to work in BSL2 or more environment
- Must possess basic computer skills, such as using a PC and working with MS Office tools
- Capable of working independently as well as a team contributor
- Must possess strong oral and written communication skills