IT Support Engineer (UK)
We are a gene therapy company changing lives with every genetic advancement.
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is a leading, clinical-stage gene therapy company founded in 2001 based on the work of adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy visionary and pioneer, Jude Samulski, PhD. Since that time, our commitment to developing life-saving medicines that cure genetic diseases has never wavered.
As the only end-to-end gene therapy company in the industry, we’ve built a foundation of therapeutic programs, AAV manufacturing and a rich portfolio of patented technology. Our therapeutic focus includes neuromuscular, central nervous system, cardiovascular and metabolic diseases with clinical trials underway for Pompe disease, Parkinson’s disease and congestive heart failure. Our gene therapy platform includes Pro10™, an industry-leading proprietary cell line manufacturing process, and an extensive AAV capsid and promoter library.
We became a wholly-owned, independently operated subsidiary of Bayer AG in late 2020 as a cornerstone of its newly formed Cell & Gene Therapy Platform. Our global headquarters are in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, a thriving biotechnology hub, and we maintain additional research and development operations in Scotland and France and gene therapy manufacturing in Spain.
We have an opportunity for an IT Support Engineer to join the AskBio team in our Edinburgh, UK location at the Roslin Innovation Centre and be part of our continued success.
Reporting to the Director of Business Operations, Europe, with a dotted line to the VP of IT, you will work as part of a virtual global IT team; you will support both system users and development projects across the UK, Europe and US.
You will be responsible for managing application configuration requests and providing internal/external user system support. Duties will be varied and include the management of both clinical and business systems, account management, hardware setup and installation, maintenance of PCs, operating systems, and training.
- Provide 1st and 2nd line troubleshooting and support for system users across the business
- Install and maintain PC hardware and software to ensure the use of standard configurations
- Set-up and configuration of new user accounts and systems, administration all current versions of Microsoft Windows server and desktop operating systems
- Configuring, troubleshooting, and maintaining networks, web services and databases
- Maintain equipment and software inventories
- Manage/liaise with third-party technology providers
- Evaluate requirements and viability of new products and services
Skills and experience
- Microsoft Windows 10, Mac OS, Linux
- Active Directory
- Windows server administration
- Office 365 / Exchange online – ATP experience (beneficial)
- SharePoint site configuration
- Network/telecoms including TCP/IP, subnets
- VLANs, configuration through ARUBA switches to secure LAN traffic and optimize business data throughput
- DNS & DHCP management for the Edinburgh site, as part of the broader AskBio network
- Firewalls – Fortinet/Fortigate firewall configuration and maintenance – including management of changes to firewall rules; SD-WAN configuration; monitoring through FortiCloud
- Knowledge of Enterprise security standards
We are looking for a confident, natural problem solver who can integrate well into an established virtual team. Individuals who have specific experience within a life science organisation could be of particular interest although we welcome applications from all sectors. Foreign language skills, French/German would also be beneficial.
This role could suit an HND/degree-qualified candidate with several years of relevant systems or IT support experience behind them.
You will be joining a small, virtual team with the opportunity to work in a unique environment and be a part of a wider team that delivers life-changing gene therapy treatments.
You can expect to receive a competitive salary plus additional benefits including life, critical illness, health, pension, cycle to work, on-site gym, on-site café.
Candidate must have a valid UK work visa/permit.
For a confidential discussion, please contact our retained partner, Keith Tocher, at Abercorn Sinclair at Keith.Tocher@abercornsinclair.com.
About Abercorn Sinclair
Abercorn Sinclair is a specialist, technical recruitment consultancy based in Edinburgh. We provide permanent, interim, and contract services across the science, technology, and engineering sectors.