Laboratory Manager, Philadelphia Facility
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is a leading, clinical-stage gene therapy company founded in 2001 based on the work of adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy visionary and pioneer, Jude Samulski, PhD. Since that time, our commitment to developing life-saving medicines that can potentially cure genetic diseases has never wavered.
At AskBio, we’ve built a foundation of therapeutic programs, AAV manufacturing and a rich portfolio of patented technology. Our therapeutic focus includes neuromuscular, central nervous system, cardiovascular and metabolic diseases with clinical trials underway for Pompe disease, Parkinson’s disease, and congestive heart failure. Our gene therapy platform includes Pro10™, an industry-leading proprietary cell line manufacturing process, and an extensive AAV capsid and promoter library.
We became a wholly-owned, independently operated, subsidiary of Bayer AG in late 2020 as a cornerstone of its newly formed Cell & Gene Therapy (CGT) platform. Our global headquarters is in Research Triangle Park, NC. Additionally, we have significant operations in Philadelphia, PA, Columbus, OH, Scotland, France, and Spain.
Our vision: Pioneering science to create transformative molecular medicines.
Our mission: Lead innovative science and drive clinical outcomes to transform people’s lives.
- Advance innovative science by pushing boundaries.
- Bring transformative therapeutics to patients in need.
- Provide an environment for employees to reach their fullest potential.
- Be a Pioneer. We are not afraid of the impossible and to innovate to make gene therapies accessible to those in need.
- Cultivate Collaboration. Strive to be the best teammate, actively listen, openly communicate, and embrace diverse points of view.
- Embrace Responsibility. We are humbled by the enormity of our mission. We hold a relentless commitment to advance science and clinical outcomes for our patients, families, and caregivers.
- Raise the Bar. Continuously drive improvements and efficiencies. Seek and provide constructive feedback. Have a bias for learning and action.
- Act with Uncompromising Integrity. Be honest, transparent, and committed to doing what’s right in every situation. Make clear commitments and follow through.
We have an opportunity for a Laboratory Manager, Philadelphia Facility to join the AskBio team and be part of our continued success!
The Laboratory Manager, Philadelphia Facility, is a part-time, 30 hours/week, reporting to Vice President, Immunology will be responsible for supporting the lab facility including procurement, vendor negotiation, vendor negotiation, inventory management, logistical operations, lab design/installation and shipping of biological samples for the Philadelphia laboratories. The idea candidate must have 15+ years experience in directing and supporting genetic engineering/gene therapy labs. The location of this position is Philadelphia, PA.
- Manage laboratories including design and installation, maintenance, inventory, and service contracts.
- Supervise all purchasing functions (e.g procurement, vendor negotiation), including developing expertise on the AskBio ordering system, Coupa.
- Ship biological samples and devise solutions for domestic/international shipping.
- Review, track, and follow-up outstanding purchase orders, and work with end users and vendors to resolve any discrepancies.
- Manage vendor service agreements, supplier contract negotiations, renegotiations to begin, sustain and strengthen vendor relationships.
- Project usage and determine ordering needs based on lead times to maintain inventory of supplies and equipment in laboratories.
- Act as liaison between external vendors and internal stakeholders.
- Ensure AskBio Corporate Safety Policies and Procedures are implemented with the laboratories.
- Train and mentor other laboratory-based colleagues.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a scientific field.
- 15+ years experience in directing and supporting genetic engineering/gene therapy labs.
Preferred Experience and Skills
- Prior experience with end-to-end tracking of biological samples to ensure clinical samples are routed to correct recipients in a timely manner.
- Ability to multitask among multiple tasks/projects and teams and work independently in a fast-paced, highly interactive environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with people, internally and externally.
- Good judgment and innovation to achieve a solution within standard practices and procedures.
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected status prohibited under Federal, State or local laws. All employment decisions are based on valid job‐related requirements. If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our website, you may request a reasonable accommodation to express interest in a specific opening by calling us at (919) 561-6210 or emailing us at email@example.com.