Manager, Business Development
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio), a wholly owned and independently operated subsidiary of Bayer AG acquired in 2020, is a fully integrated AAV gene therapy company dedicated to developing life-saving medicines that have the potential to cure genetic diseases. The company maintains a portfolio of clinical programs across a range of neuromuscular, central nervous system, cardiovascular and metabolic disease indications with a clinical-stage pipeline that includes therapeutics for Pompe disease, Parkinson’s disease and congestive heart failure, as well as out-licensed clinical indications for hemophilia and Duchenne muscular dystrophy. AskBio’s gene therapy platform includes Pro10™, an industry-leading proprietary cell line manufacturing process, and an extensive AAV capsid and promoter library. With global headquarters in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, and European headquarters in Edinburgh, UK, the company has generated hundreds of proprietary third-generation AAV capsids and promoters, several of which have entered clinical testing. Founded in 2001 and an early innovator in the gene therapy field, the company holds more than 850 patents in areas such as AAV production and chimeric and self-complementary capsids. Learn more at www.askbio.com.
The Manager will be a key member of the business development team. The role calls for a proven team player who brings an exceptional analytical rigor, keen attention to detail, and strong time-management skills to strategy and business development projects. Reporting to the General Counsel, the Manager will play a key role in leading and advancing projects that will develop near-term and long-range strategy for the Company. The business development function lives at the interface of the science, medicine, business, and law; candidates will be expected to show strong capabilities across those disciplines.
Direct responsibilities will include search and evaluation, corporate strategy development projects, competitive intelligence, supporting due diligence, supporting business development transactions, and financing activities. The Manager will collaborate with stakeholders in many different functions to ensure alignment, and completion of key tasks in a nimble and fast-moving environment.
We are excited about our next Manager, Business Development to join the AskBio team!
- Support business development transactions.
- Proactively search for and scientifically evaluate external growth opportunities, provide robust and comprehensive assessments of these opportunities.
- Conducting scientific diligence to assess scientific plausibility, strategic fit and delivering critical path viewpoints on value proposition and rationale of potential opportunities.
- Asses emerging business-development opportunities by working in collaboration with research, clinical and business development colleagues across AskBio with a primary focus on the scientific and technical merit to advance (or exclude) opportunities for further consideration.
- Drive competitive intelligence, as it relates to the AAV gene therapy marketplace, to shape and inform the current and future Research & Development strategy. Conduct future life sciences market assessments based on the collection of data about relevant published research, regulatory filings and notices, public policy and regulatory developments.
- Present and debate business rationale, analyses and proposals with the senior members of the Business Development team; interface with senior management to reach decisions.
- Minimum 3 years of pharma or biotech experience including research and clinical translation, with at least 2 years in a search & evaluation role or comparable experience on business development due diligence teams.
Preferred Education & Skills
- Advanced scientific degree (PhD or MD) in the life sciences, preferably related to gene therapy, with a strong scientific background and analytical mindset, an MBA or experience in gene therapy.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly grasp a new scientific area or medical discipline; humility to ask questions and learn from others.
- Knowledge of the industry and pharmaceutical product development.[
- Exceptional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills – this includes use of PowerPoint and other common communication tools.
- Strong team-player with keen desire to learn business development and strategy.
- Ability to collaborate and model the best professional behavior in a fast-moving, often high-pressure situations.