Manager, Payroll (WorkDay)
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is a leading, clinical-stage gene therapy company founded in 2001 based on the work of adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy visionary and pioneer, Jude Samulski, PhD. Since that time, our commitment to developing life-saving medicines that can potentially cure genetic diseases has never wavered.
At AskBio, we’ve built a foundation of therapeutic programs, AAV manufacturing and a rich portfolio of patented technology. Our therapeutic focus includes neuromuscular, central nervous system, cardiovascular and metabolic diseases with clinical trials underway for Pompe disease, Parkinson’s disease, and congestive heart failure. Our gene therapy platform includes Pro10™, an industry-leading proprietary cell line manufacturing process, and an extensive AAV capsid and promoter library.
We became a wholly-owned, independently operated, subsidiary of Bayer AG in late 2020 as a cornerstone of its newly formed Cell & Gene Therapy (CGT) platform. Our global headquarters is in Research Triangle Park, NC. Additionally, we have significant operations in Philadelphia, PA, Columbus, OH, Scotland, France, and Spain.
Our vision: Pioneering science to create transformative molecular medicines.
Our mission: Lead innovative science and drive clinical outcomes to transform people’s lives.
- Advance innovative science by pushing boundaries.
- Bring transformative therapeutics to patients in need.
- Provide an environment for employees to reach their fullest potential.
- Be a Pioneer. We are not afraid of the impossible and to innovate to make gene therapies accessible to those in need.
- Cultivate Collaboration. Strive to be the best teammate, actively listen, openly communicate, and embrace diverse points of view.
- Embrace Responsibility. We are humbled by the enormity of our mission. We hold a relentless commitment to advance science and clinical outcomes for our patients, families, and caregivers.
- Raise the Bar. Continuously drive improvements and efficiencies. Seek and provide constructive feedback. Have a bias for learning and action.
- Act with Uncompromising Integrity. Be honest, transparent, and committed to doing what’s right in every situation. Make clear commitments and follow through.
We have an opportunity for a Manager, Payroll (WorkDay) to join the AskBio team and be part of our continued success!
The Manager, Payroll (WorkDay), reporting to the Sr. Director, People Operations, will be responsible for the oversight of processing and preparing the US payroll through Workday, preparing the necessary journal entries, monthly reconciliations, monthly/quarterly reports, and other reports/analysis pertaining to payroll and retirement plan administration. In addition, this position is responsible for 401(k) integration maintenance and will manage relationships with downstream vendors. The ideal candidate will have excellent organization, prioritization and communication skills and partner well with the AskBio HR function and must have prior Workday experience. This is a US-based, remote position.
- Lead all aspects of payroll processing and vendor relationships for locations including US, UK, France, & Germany.
- Prepare and provide journal entry files to Accounting, including identifying inconsistencies and reconciling payroll accounts to minimize adjustments at month-end or year-end.
- Serve as liaison to employees and with outsourced payroll providers to ensure payroll processing accurately reflects company pay policies.
- Audit employee records to ensure accuracy of payroll, deductions, 401(k), and tax-related issues based on employee events such as new hires and changes.
- Provide records to third party vendors for all benefit programs, including 401k distributions, Flexible Spending Accounts, and other benefits programs in a timely manner.
- Reconcile benefit invoices to actual employee deductions and company budget.
- Ensure federal, state, and local income and unemployment tax compliance with outsourced payroll provider and all authoritative bodies to include updating SUI tax rates, opening new tax jurisdictions and closing jurisdictions no longer in use.
- Complete year-end process and annual tax statements, in a timely and accurate manner, to include reviewing quarterly/annual wage and tax reports for accuracy, correcting employee wages and/or taxes using OOS or adjustment payrolls and previewing W-2s to ensure they are correct.
- Process and manage all payroll-related reports.
- Establish and maintain strong quality controls while ensuring compliance with country, state, and local laws.
- Remain current on new legislation and regulatory rulings impacting all domestic and international payrolls.
- Responsible for handling the internal financial operation of the 401(k)-plan ensuring administration complies with plan provisions and legal compliance.
- Partner closely with third party payroll providers globally to ensure all retirement & savings plans are administered in compliance with applicable labor laws.
- Maintain detailed procedures and plan documentation, compliance work, and related projects.
- Work closely with the 401(k)-service provider(s) to service the plan administration needs.
- Audit semi-monthly payroll to ensure appropriate 401(k) deductions are deducted from employee paychecks, including employer match, employee loans and adjustments.
- Own the 401(k)/Retirement inbound and outbound interfaces and ensure the data is accurate including auditing the timely submission of 401(k) employee contributions, employer matching contributions and loan re-payments.
- Review the error/exception reports and reconcile error/exception reports from the retirement plans record keeper.
- Coordinate all internal and external audits (e.g. DOL, IRS, 401(k) annual audits), the 5500 annual filing and audit, and mid-year/year-end NDT testing including preparing necessary schedules and responding to auditor requests for information.
- Oversee the Qualified Domestic Relation Orders (QDRO) processing with the retirement plan administrator.
- Respond to all employee 401(k) questions and draft employee communication material.
- Create reports combining data from both the payroll systems and the record keeper system, using the Workday payroll system to research/resolve issues.
- Maintain confidentiality and non-disclosure of employee and company information and data and adhere to all company policies and procedures.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, work experience, including applicable military service, may substitute for education requirement.
- 7+ years of experience managing payroll with a minimum of 2 years’ experience with Workday payroll.
- Experience with full-cycle payroll processing and/or vendor management in the US and Europe.
Preferred Experience and Skills
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP).
- Detail oriented and committed to accuracy.
- Ability to analyze and provide solutions to complex challenges quickly and creatively.
- Unquestionable ethics and integrity with assertiveness, presence, and self-confidence.
- Strong customer focus with an ability to build effective relationships and establish trust, respect, and confidence.
- Ability to multitask among multiple projects and teams and work independently in a fast-paced, highly interactive environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- High level of professionalism and confidentiality.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (especially Excel and Access).
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected status prohibited under Federal, State or local laws. All employment decisions are based on valid job‐related requirements. If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our website, you may request a reasonable accommodation to express interest in a specific opening by calling us at (919) 561-6210 or emailing us at email@example.com.