Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is an AAV-based gene therapy company founded in 2001 by industry leaders to find cures for genetically derived and life-threatening illnesses. Our scientific platform is based on the work of Jude Samulski, PhD, and Xiao Xiao, PhD. Our history has been largely mission driven to help patients without other medical options, and we carry on this patient-focused mission today. AskBio is headquartered in Research Triangle, North Carolina.
We have a new opportunity for a MANUFACTURING SCIENTIST to join the AskBio team!
About the role
The role of the Manufacturing Scientist is to manufacture and assist in analytical characterization of research- and GLP-grade recombinant adeno-associated virus (rAAV) vectors. The rAAV vectors will support capsid technology development, our intellectual property portfolio and progression of internal and external early stage gene therapy programs.
This role will provide the planning, timeline, execution of manufacturing along with coordination of analytical release assay testing for the rAAV vectors needed for multiple projects. The successful candidate will have a bachelor’s or master’s degree in chemical engineering, chemistry/biochemistry, or biology, and have a working knowledge of biologics manufacturing. This position requires planning, coordination of groups, raw materials, supplies and execution of small- and large-scale manufacturing campaigns with the ability to evaluate and report the results to colleagues.
Responsibilities and accountabilities
- Work with fellow scientists, collaborators and upper management to forecast and develop manufacturing timelines and strategies to support technology and early stage clinical program development
- Responsible for rAAV vector manufacturing for research- and GLP-grade studies to support rAAV technology improvements and progression of early stage gene therapy programs
- Support process development activities for development and optimization of improved processes
- Order raw materials, supplies, equipment, management of inventory, manufacturing rAAV vectors using shaker flasks, WAVE bioreactors and stir tank bioreactors, filtration and chromatography technologies along with some analytical testing
- Evaluate and summarize manufacturing and analytical results
- Support process development activities, technology transfer and training, internal and external manufacturing and analytical development activities
- Prepare internally reviewed manufacturing reports and make oral presentations to scientists and management
BS or MS degree in a biological or engineering discipline (biotechnology, chemistry/biochemistry, chemical/biochemical engineering, or equivalent)
- Experience in laboratory research, biologics manufacturing and a desire to continue in a laboratory-focused role
- 1-3 (or 2-5) years of experience in bioprocess manufacturing and technology transfer, preferably in rAAV and/or recombinant protein/biomolecule bioprocess manufacturing. Experience with process develop and/or supporting analytics is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to generate results and innovative solutions with minimum supervision