Patient Advocacy Associate
We are a gene therapy company changing lives with every genetic advancement.
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is a leading, clinical-stage gene therapy company founded in 2001 based on the work of adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy visionary and pioneer, Jude Samulski, PhD. Since that time, our commitment to developing life-saving medicines that cure genetic diseases has never wavered.
As the only end-to-end gene therapy company in the industry, we’ve built a foundation of therapeutic programs, AAV manufacturing and a rich portfolio of patented technology. Our therapeutic focus includes neuromuscular, central nervous system, cardiovascular and metabolic diseases with clinical trials underway for Pompe disease, Parkinson’s disease and congestive heart failure. Our gene therapy platform includes Pro10™, an industry-leading proprietary cell line manufacturing process, and an extensive AAV capsid and promoter library.
We became a wholly owned, independently operated subsidiary of Bayer AG in late 2020 as a cornerstone of its newly formed Cell & Gene Therapy Platform. Our global headquarters are in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, a thriving biotechnology hub, and we maintain additional research and development operations in Scotland and France and gene therapy manufacturing in Spain.
We have an opportunity for a Patient Advocacy Associate to join the AskBio team in our Research Triangle Park (Durham), NC location and be part of our continued success!
About the role
The purpose of the Patient Advocacy Associate is to support our engagement with patients and patient advocacy organizations and help ensure the patient voice is incorporated into AskBio’s product development. This key role serves as a liaison between AskBio and patients, families, advocates and the community. This team member will work collaboratively across multiple initiatives to ensure that the patient perspective is captured, while building and fostering strong relationships in patient communities.
Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Serve as primary contact for patients/families/patient advocates on behalf of AskBio for specific therapeutic indications
- Identify key advocacy groups supporting indications for which AskBio is developing
- Collaborate with the Patient Advocacy team to ensure that patient-facing materials are up to date and available for use, including supporting the ongoing development and review of content for the AskFirst™ website
- Support and shadow other Patient Advocacy team members within the department, including onboarding of new advocacy partnerships and support with ongoing projects
- Lead meaningful relationship engagement with patient advocacy and professional organizations
- Serve as an internal resource by finding opportunities and developing action plans to support programs that help patients by addressing disease-specific challenges, increase disease awareness, decrease time to diagnosis and increase access to therapy
- Through understanding of the assigned patient communities, bring their unique voice and patient perspective into AskBio’s decision making
- Contribute to the development of the overarching strategic plan and holistic company philosophy around patient advocacy engagement
- Serve as point of contact and act as an AskBio ambassador to assigned external patient advocacy groups, patient advocates and other relevant stakeholders
- Contribute to the creation of advocacy strategies, collaboration plans and operational engagement that may include, but are not limited to, educational programs, disease awareness initiatives, advisory boards, patient speaker engagement and clinical trial awareness
- Represent AskBio at patient advocacy meetings, events and conferences, sharing key takeaways with relevant internal partners
- Use patient insights learned from the patient community and serve as internal consultant to champion and incorporate patient perspectives into all appropriate initiatives, including disease education programs, clinical trial design, research collaborations, patient services etc.
- Perform other activities as assigned by the Director of Patient Advocacy and senior management
- Bachelor’s degree in a healthcare or relevant scientific field
- Interest and capacity to learn and understand the biology of disease indications and AskBio technology. Gene therapy experience highly desirable
- Experience with and understanding of the drug development process
- Demonstrated ability to work with different personalities and styles efficiently and prioritize activities based on ambiguous or quickly changing information and environments
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively with people, internally and externally
- Ability to multitask among multiple projects and teams and work independently in a fast paced, highly interactive environment
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Experience building strong external and internal relationships
- Familiarity with the nonprofit sector preferred
- At least 2 years of experience in pharma or biotech, or at least 5 years of experience in a hospital, advocacy group or contract research organization
- Ability to multitask among projects and teams and work independently in a fast-paced, highly interactive environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively with people, internally and externally, is required
- 25% (in a post-COVID environment)
Live an AskLife™
We offer a competitive total rewards package. Are you our next great discovery?