Principal Scientist – Pathology
We are a gene therapy company changing lives with every genetic advancement.
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is a leading, clinical-stage gene therapy company founded in 2001 based on the work of adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy visionary and pioneer, Jude Samulski, PhD. Since that time, our commitment to developing life-saving medicines that cure genetic diseases has never wavered.
As the only end-to-end gene therapy company in the industry, we’ve built a foundation of therapeutic programs, AAV manufacturing and a rich portfolio of patented technology. Our therapeutic focus includes neuromuscular, central nervous system, cardiovascular and metabolic diseases with clinical trials underway for Pompe disease, Parkinson’s disease and congestive heart failure. Our gene therapy platform includes Pro10™, an industry-leading proprietary cell line manufacturing process, and an extensive AAV capsid and promoter library.
We became a wholly owned, independently operated subsidiary of Bayer AG in late 2020 as a cornerstone of its newly formed Cell & Gene Therapy Platform. Our global headquarters are in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, a thriving biotechnology hub, and we maintain additional research and development operations in Scotland and France and gene therapy manufacturing in Spain.
We have an opportunity for a Principal Scientist Pathology to join the AskBio team in our Research Triangle Park (Durham), NC location and be part of our continued success!
About the role
In anticipation of the Company’s growth plans, we are seeking a Principal Scientist (Pathology). The pathologist will provide scientific guidance and leadership in the preclinical safety de-risking of AAV based gene therapies and work in close collaboration with colleagues in Translational Medicine.
Responsibilities & accountabilities
- Provide pathology evaluation for discovery, investigative and regulatory toxicology studies, as well as efficacy studies
- Provide pathology expertise and guidance to scientific staff in Translational Sciences and Research
- Lead a group of 1-3 histologists to ensure appropriate cell staining and tissue sectioning
- Pathology peer review of toxicology studies
- Integrate and interpret pathology findings
- Develop optimal safety de-risking strategies in partnership with toxicologists
- Opportunity to function as Project Toxicologist on program teams
- Lead investigative efforts into mechanisms of toxicity, as needed
- Advise on Immunohistochemistry protocol development and interpretation
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM or equivalent)
- Board certification in Veterinary Anatomic Pathology
- At least 5 years of drug development experience
- Experience with small molecules and biologics desirable
- Strong scientific background and acumen
- Excellent critical thinking skills
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively on cross-functional projects teams, and demonstrated can-do attitude
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent oral, presentation, and written communication skills
Live an AskLife™
We offer a competitive total rewards package. Are you our next great discovery?