R&D Animal Technician/Scientist (UK)
We are a gene therapy company changing lives with every genetic advancement.
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is a leading, clinical-stage gene therapy company founded in 2001 based on the work of adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy visionary and pioneer, Jude Samulski, PhD. Since that time, our commitment to developing life-saving medicines that cure genetic diseases has never wavered.
As the only end-to-end gene therapy company in the industry, we’re built a foundation of therapeutic programs, AAV manufacturing and a rich portfolio of patented technology. Our therapeutic focus includes neuromuscular, central nervous system, cardiovascular and metabolic diseases with clinical trials underway for Pompe disease, Parkinson’s disease and congestive heart failure. Our gene therapy platform includes Pro10™, an industry-leading proprietary cell line manufacturing process, and an extensive AAV capsid and promoter library.
We became a wholly-owned, independently operated subsidiary of Bayer AG in late 2020 as a cornerstone of its newly formed Cell & Gene Therapy Platform. Our global headquarters are in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, a thriving biotechnology hub, and we maintain additional research and development operations in Scotland and France and gene therapy manufacturing in Spain.
We have an opportunity for an R&D Animal Technician/Scientist to join the AskBio team in our Edinburgh UK location at the Roslin Innovation Centre and be part of our continued success.
Having recently obtained an ASPA licence, these are new posts within the organisation. We are looking for experienced Animal Techs with a strong industry background. The successful candidates will predominately be working with rodents (mice).
Skills and experience
- Husbandry, mating, genotyping
- Working with wild type mice (CD1s, C57 blacks, BALB/Cs. etc) and/or with mice diseased models (neurological, neuromuscular, cardiovascular, haematopoietic, and metabolic genetic disorders) to utilise them as a model organism
- Experience in different routes of administration [intravascular (IV), intramuscular (IM), intraperitoneal (IP), subcutaneous (SC), Intradermal (ID) injections, and oral gavage (Intragastric)] to administer viral vectors, drugs, and other chemical reagents
- Experience with mice perfusion, harvesting and collections of different murine organs and subsequent preparations for DNA/RNA and protein analysis
- Knowledge with qPCR, RT-PCR, ddPCR, and western blotting
- Strong organisational skills, able to deal with a large volume of samples
- A confident communicator both verbally and written
- Effectively manage own workload to meet project deliverables
- Motivated to learn and develop new methods and techniques
This role could suit an HND/degree-qualified candidate with several years of animal lab experience behind them. We are seeking individuals with relevant experience from a similar scientific environment. Candidates from an industry setting would be of particular interest, however, we also welcome applications from individuals from academic institutes.
You can expect to receive a competitive salary plus additional benefits including, life insurance, critical illness, health, pension, cycle to work, on-site gym, on-site café.
For a confidential discussion, please contact our retained partner, Keith Tocher, at Abercorn Sinclair at Keith.Tocher@abercornsinclair.com.
About Abercorn Sinclair
Abercorn Sinclair is a specialist, technical recruitment consultancy based in Edinburgh. We provide permanent, interim, and contract services across the science, technology, and engineering sectors.