Research Associate AAV I-III Biology
We are a gene therapy company changing lives with every genetic advancement.
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is a leading, clinical-stage gene therapy company founded in 2001 based on the work of adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy visionary and pioneer, Jude Samulski, PhD. Since that time, our commitment to developing life-saving medicines that cure genetic diseases has never wavered.
As the only end-to-end gene therapy company in the industry, we’ve built a foundation of therapeutic programs, AAV manufacturing and a rich portfolio of patented technology. Our therapeutic focus includes neuromuscular, central nervous system, cardiovascular and metabolic diseases with clinical trials underway for Pompe disease, Parkinson’s disease and congestive heart failure. Our gene therapy platform includes Pro10™, an industry-leading proprietary cell line manufacturing process, and an extensive AAV capsid and promoter library.
We became a wholly owned, independently operated subsidiary of Bayer AG in late 2020 as a cornerstone of its newly formed Cell & Gene Therapy Platform. Our global headquarters are in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, a thriving biotechnology hub, and we maintain additional research and development operations in Scotland and France and gene therapy manufacturing in Spain.
We have an opportunity for a Research Associate I-III Biology to join the AskBio team in our Research Triangle Park (Durham), NC location and be part of our continued success!
About the Role
This position is based in RTP and reports to the Team Leader Molecular Biology. Research Associate Scientist I-III (RAS) will conduct experimental bench work in support of development of rAAV Gene Therapy clinical candidate vectors.
RAS will be a member of the Molecular Biology team. MBT has responsibility for cassette design and optimization, cassette screening, and delivery of the lead and back up clinical candidate vectors for various indications. Areas of interest to AskBio include CNS, neuromuscular, liver systemic and liver metabolic rare diseases. Therapeutic strategies may include gene replacement, gene knock down, gene modulation, and combinations of those approaches. Therapeutic modality is rAAV, thus experience with developing rAAV vectors is required. RAS will have a direct experience with various molecular biology techniques, including quantitative PCR and RT PCR (preference for direct experience with ddPCR), expression vector design, NGS, miRNA< shRNA, off target effects, RNAScope, mammalian cell culture including iPS and primary cells, ELISA, SDS_PAGE, Western Blot, expression of recombinant proteins and functional characterization of the recombinant proteins.
RAS will develop and maintain relationships with key internal leaders and organizations, collaborating laboratories, and CROs. RAS will collaborate with capsid development group in R&D and aid in characterization of the novel AAV capsids.
RAS may support due diligence, prepare summaries and presentations.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Design, plan and conduct experiments
- Analyse data and prepare reports
- Ensure high quality and reproducibility of results
- Contribute to delivering clinical candidate vectors for translational programs
- Ensure lab areas are clean and well organized and equipment, supplies and raw materials are available for use, and safety protocols are followed
- Contribute to/author study reports, study protocols, SOPs, and regulatory filings
- Excellent communication skills and work well in a group work environment
- Contribute to technical discussions and investigations within the cross-disciplinary program and project teams
- Detailed and organized
- Ability to develop rAAV products regardless of the therapeutic area by collaborating with the subject matter experts in Research, Translational, Clinical, and Regulatory organizations.
- Experience working with cross-disciplinary teams, as well as being individual contributor
- Willing to help to more junior members of the team
- Ability to multitask among multiple projects and teams and work independently in a fast-paced, highly interactive environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively with people, internally and externally is required.
- Must be self-motivated, organized, capable of working independently as well as in a collaborative/group environment
- Should possess strong oral and written communication skills
- Good judgment and innovation to achieve a solution within standard practices and procedures.
- Experience with global teams, especially Spanish and French speaking, a plus.
Live an AskLife™
We offer a competitive total rewards package. Are you our next great discovery?