Research Associate II Downstream
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is a privately held, clinical-stage gene therapy company founded in 2001 based on the work of adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy pioneers, Jude Samulski, PhD, and Xiao Xiao, PhD. We are driven to change lives with every clinical advancement and turn hope into cures with new possibilities for genetic medicine. We currently have clinical trials ongoing for late-onset Pompe disease and congestive heart failure.
AskBio is headquartered in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, a thriving biotechnology hub, and has additional R&D facilities in Scotland and France and gene therapy manufacturing in Spain.
We are excited for our next Research Associate II Downstream to join the AskBio team!
About the Role
This Research Associate II position provides support for execution of experiments designed to optimize recombinant adeno-associated virus (rAAV) downstream processing and purification for gene therapy applications. This role requires a desire to learn the principles of chemical engineering, biochemistry and related disciplines, including chromatography, centrifugation and filtration.
- Support process improvement activities and projects in collaboration with fellow scientists
- Conduct experiments and analyses as part of a variety of research and development activities, e.g., small-scale studies, scale up studies, technology transfer and process development
- Actively participate as a member or multifunctional project teams
- Evaluate and summarize the experimental results to improve understanding of downstream purification strategies, yield, purity and recovery
- Support technology transfer, internally and externally
- Prepare and present data at internal group meetings
- BS degree in biology/biochemistry/chemistry/chemical engineering or equivalent
- Experience in laboratory research and a desire to continue in a laboratory-focused roll
- Recent BS graduate with 1-3 years of experience in laboratory research required, preferably in recombinant protein/biomolecule purification development, technology transfer and/or bioprocess manufacturing
- Experience with filtration and chromatography
- Familiarity with GLP and cGMP
- Demonstrated ability to generate results and innovative solutions with minimum supervision
- A good understanding of protein chemistry, protein analytics and bioprocess technology is required
- Applicants should be self-motivated, organized, capable of working independently, as well as in a collaborative/group environment with manufacturing staff on experimental studies and GMP manufacturing
- Experience with manufacturing of rAAV vectors is a plus
- Experience with downstream process development specific to rAAV is a plus
- The successful candidate will possess strong oral and written communication skills
- Good judgment and innovation to achieve a solution within standard practices and procedures
- Strong analytical and computer skills are required
- Sound understanding of statistical experimental design and analysis, such as design of experiments, is a plus
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Word, Outlook, Excel) required; experience with JMP a plus
Live an AskLife™
We offer a competitive total rewards package. Are you our next great discovery?