Research Associate II, Histotechnologist (Product Development)
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is a leading, clinical-stage gene therapy company founded in 2001 based on the work of adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy visionary and pioneer, Jude Samulski, PhD. Since that time, our commitment to developing life-saving medicines that can potentially cure genetic diseases has never wavered.
At AskBio, we’ve built a foundation of therapeutic programs, AAV manufacturing and a rich portfolio of patented technology. Our therapeutic focus includes neuromuscular, central nervous system, cardiovascular and metabolic diseases with clinical trials underway for Pompe disease, Parkinson’s disease, and congestive heart failure. Our gene therapy platform includes Pro10™, an industry-leading proprietary cell line manufacturing process, and an extensive AAV capsid and promoter library.
We became a wholly-owned, independently operated, subsidiary of Bayer AG in late 2020 as a cornerstone of its newly formed Cell & Gene Therapy (CGT) platform. Our global headquarters is in Research Triangle Park, NC. Additionally, we have significant operations in Philadelphia, PA, Columbus, OH, Scotland, France, and Spain.
Our vision: Pioneering science to create transformative molecular medicines.
Our mission: Lead innovative science and drive clinical outcomes to transform people’s lives.
- Advance innovative science by pushing boundaries.
- Bring transformative therapeutics to patients in need.
- Provide an environment for employees to reach their fullest potential.
- Be a Pioneer. We are not afraid of the impossible and to innovate to make gene therapies accessible to those in need.
- Cultivate Collaboration. Strive to be the best teammate, actively listen, openly communicate, and embrace diverse points of view.
- Embrace Responsibility. We are humbled by the enormity of our mission. We hold a relentless commitment to advance science and clinical outcomes for our patients, families, and caregivers.
- Raise the Bar. Continuously drive improvements and efficiencies. Seek and provide constructive feedback. Have a bias for learning and action.
- Act with Uncompromising Integrity. Be honest, transparent, and committed to doing what’s right in every situation. Make clear commitments and follow through.
We have an opportunity for a Research Associate II, Histotechnologist, Product Development to join the AskBio team and be part of our continued success!
The Research Associate II, Histotechnologist, Product Development, reporting to the Scientist II, Histotechnologist, will conduct experimental bench work in support of development of rAAV Gene Therapy clinical candidate vectors. The ideal candidate will have direct experience with histological analysis of tissues, including preparing frozen tissues, cryosection, H&E and PAS staining, immunofluorescence /immunohistochemistry and RNAscope. This position is located at AskBio’s Headquarters in RTP, North Carolina.
The Product Development team at AskBio has responsibility for analysis of DNA, RNA, and protein expression from tissues and cell lines, and analysis of samples across many disease indications, including CNS, neuromuscular, liver systemic and liver metabolic rare diseases. The therapeutic strategies may include gene replacement, gene knock down, gene modulation, and combinations of those approaches.
- Tissue processing, embedding, cryostat sectioning and mounting slides.
- H&E staining.
- Immunofluorescence, immunohistochemistry, in situ hybridization and RNAscope.
- Imaging and analysis.
- Process, track and analyze many samples from different types of tissues to generate high quality reproducible data, store the data and samples in an organized manner.
- Contribute to/author study reports, study protocols, SOPs, and technical discussions and investigations within project teams.
- Ensure lab areas are well organized and equipment and supplies are available and safety protocols are followed.
Required Education and Experience
- BS degree in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or other relevant degree with 3-5 years research experience, or MS with 1-3 years’ experience.
Preferred Experience and Skills
- Experience in tissue processing and analysis.
- Experience in histological analysis of mouse disease models and imaging/analysis using Leica Aperio systems and ImageScope.
- Ability to multitask among multiple projects and teams and work independently in a fast-paced, highly interactive environment.
- Self-motivated, organized, capable of working independently and in a collaborative environment with cross-disciplinary teams.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively with people, internally and externally.
- Self-motivated and organized with good judgment to achieve a solution within standard practices and procedures.
- Experience working in cross-functional teams with a mindset of innovation and collaboration.
- Good judgment and innovation to achieve a solution within standard procedures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel).
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected status prohibited under Federal, State or local laws. All employment decisions are based on valid job‐related requirements. If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our website, you may request a reasonable accommodation to express interest in a specific opening by calling us at (919) 561-6210 or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.