Research Associate II, In-Vivo (Product Development)
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is a leading, clinical-stage gene therapy company founded in 2001 based on the work of adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy visionary and pioneer, Jude Samulski, PhD. Since that time, our commitment to developing life-saving medicines that can potentially cure genetic diseases has never wavered.
At AskBio, we’ve built a foundation of therapeutic programs, AAV manufacturing and a rich portfolio of patented technology. Our therapeutic focus includes neuromuscular, central nervous system, cardiovascular and metabolic diseases with clinical trials underway for Pompe disease, Parkinson’s disease, and congestive heart failure. Our gene therapy platform includes Pro10™, an industry-leading proprietary cell line manufacturing process, and an extensive AAV capsid and promoter library.
We became a wholly-owned, independently operated, subsidiary of Bayer AG in late 2020 as a cornerstone of its newly formed Cell & Gene Therapy (CGT) platform. Our global headquarters is in Research Triangle Park, NC. Additionally, we have significant operations in Philadelphia, PA, Columbus, OH, Scotland, France, and Spain.
Our vision: Pioneering science to create transformative molecular medicines.
Our mission: Lead innovative science and drive clinical outcomes to transform people’s lives.
- Advance innovative science by pushing boundaries.
- Bring transformative therapeutics to patients in need.
- Provide an environment for employees to reach their fullest potential.
- Be a Pioneer. We are not afraid of the impossible and to innovate to make gene therapies accessible to those in need.
- Cultivate Collaboration. Strive to be the best teammate, actively listen, openly communicate, and embrace diverse points of view.
- Embrace Responsibility. We are humbled by the enormity of our mission. We hold a relentless commitment to advance science and clinical outcomes for our patients, families, and caregivers.
- Raise the Bar. Continuously drive improvements and efficiencies. Seek and provide constructive feedback. Have a bias for learning and action.
- Act with Uncompromising Integrity. Be honest, transparent, and committed to doing what’s right in every situation. Make clear commitments and follow through.
We have an opportunity for a Research Associate II, In-Vivo (Product Development) to join the AskBio team and be part of our continued success!
This Research Associate II, In-Vivo (Product Development) will report to the Senior Scientist, Group Lead for In-Vivo Biology (IVB) and conduct experimental bench work and provide technical expertise in the development of rAAV gene therapy clinical candidate vectors. This position is expected to contribute to the function of the IVB team, which has responsibility for executing in vivo work related to rAAV vector evaluation and development and characterization of the animal disease models and contributes to the delivery of the lead and back-up clinical candidate vectors for various indications. with therapeutic strategies that may include gene replacement, gene knock down, gene modulation and combinations of those approaches. The ideal candidate should be well versed in tail vein injections, orbital vein injections, hydrodynamic injections, temporal vein injections, colony breeding, necropsies, blood and tissue collection and processing. The location of this position is in Durham (RTP), North Carolina.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key internal leaders and organizations, collaborating laboratories and CROs.
- Collaborate with capsid development group in R&D and aid in characterization of the novel AAV capsids.
- Assist in animal husbandry.
- Perform all study procedures, including animal handling, daily observations, sample collections (blood draws, processing), necropsies (tissue processing, anesthesia).
- Perform vector injections, including tail vein, orbital vein, temporal vein, injections into CSF, intramuscular injections, and other procedures.
- Maintain comprehensive understanding of scientific advances related to rAAV vectors and transfer appropriate information to the direct manager for business-related or product development purposes.
- Report all observations and study deviations to the supervisor.
- Ensure high quality, reproducibility, and timeliness of results.
- Serve as a representative on cross-disciplinary teams.
- Contribute to/author study reports, study protocols, SOPs and regulatory filings.
- Participate in technical discussions and investigations within the cross-disciplinary program and project teams.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree with 3-5 years of progressive post-degree experience in gene therapy, vaccines, or complex biologics.
- Experience with characterization of rAAV gene therapy products and a working knowledge of biostatistics.
- Ability to develop rAAV products, regardless of the therapeutic area, by collaborating with the subject matter experts in research, translational, clinical, and regulatory organization.
Preferred Experience and Skills
- Prior experience working with rAAV vectors and Aseptic surgical experience in vascular cannulations, vector biodistribution studies, dose-ranging studies, and functional in vivo readouts, including behavioral studies, biomarkers, and other efficacy readouts.
- Working knowledge of biostatistics.
- Knowledge and expertise in surgical vascular cannulations as some projects will require minor surgery to deliver the vector to the target organ/tissue.
- Ability to multitask among multiple projects and teams and work independently in a fast-paced, highly interactive environment.
- Self-motivated, organized, capable of working independently and in a collaborative environment with cross-disciplinary teams.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively with people, internally and externally.
- Self-motivated and organized with good judgment to achieve a solution within standard practices and procedures.
- Experience working in cross-functional teams with a mindset of innovation and collaboration.
- Good judgment and innovation to achieve a solution within standard procedures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel).
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected status prohibited under Federal, State or local laws. All employment decisions are based on valid job‐related requirements. If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our website, you may request a reasonable accommodation to express interest in a specific opening by calling us at (919) 561-6210 or emailing us at email@example.com.