Research Associate II in vivo Histology
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is a privately held, clinical-stage gene therapy company founded in 2001 based on the work of adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy pioneers, Jude Samulski, PhD, and Xiao Xiao, PhD. We are driven to change lives with every clinical advancement and turn hope into cures with new possibilities for genetic medicine. We currently have clinical trials ongoing for late-onset Pompe disease and congestive heart failure.
AskBio is headquartered in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, a thriving biotechnology hub, and has additional research and development facilities in Scotland and France and gene therapy manufacturing in Spain.
We are looking for a Research Associate II in vivo Histology to join the AskBio team!
About the role
This position is based in RTP and reports to the Sr. Scientist Group Leader in vivo biology. This role will conduct experimental bench work and provide technical expertise in the development of rAAV gene therapy clinical candidate vectors.
He/she is expected to contribute to the function of the in vivo biology (comparative medicine) team. IVB has responsibility for executing in vivo work related to rAAV vector evaluation and development and characterization of the animal disease models. IVB contributes to the delivery of the lead and back-up clinical candidate vectors for various indications. Areas of interest to AskBio include CNS, neuromuscular, liver systemic and liver metabolic rare diseases.
Therapeutic strategies may include gene replacement, gene knock down, gene modulation, and combinations of those approaches. Therapeutic modality is rAAV, thus experience working with rAAV vectors is highly preferred. This Associate will be well-versed in necropsies, tissue collection, tissue preservation and processing. Tissue sectioning, IHC, paraffin sections, OCT, PFA, and other methods. Experience with RNAscope is highly desired. Also experience with vector biodistribution studies and biomarkers is highly desired.
He/she will develop and maintain relationships with key internal leaders and organizations, collaborating laboratories, and CROs and will collaborate with the capsid development group in R&D and aid in characterization of the novel AAV capsids.
The Associate will maintain a comprehensive understanding of scientific advances related to rAAV vectors and transfer appropriate information to the direct manager for business-related or product development purposes. He/she may also support due diligence and prepare study summaries and presentations.
MS with 2 (BS with 3-5) years of progressive post-degree experience in gene therapy/vaccines/complex biologics (in the order of preference). Direct experience with characterization of rAAV gene therapy products is highly desired. Willingness and ability to work in a fast-paced environment through the team members as well as hands on.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Assist in necropsies
- Tissue collection, preservation and processing
- Staining tissue sections, including ICH, RNAscope
- Image analyses and signal quantification
- Analyze and interpret data
- Ensure high quality, reproducibility, and timeliness of results
- Serve as a rep on the cross-disciplinary teams
- Contribute to/author study reports, study protocols, SOPs, and regulatory filings
- Excellent communication skills and work well in a group work environment.
- Contribute to technical discussions and investigations within the cross-disciplinary program and project teams.
- Detailed and organized
- Ability to develop rAAV products regardless of the therapeutic area by collaborating with the subject matter experts in research, translational, clinical and regulatory organizations
- Ability to multitask among multiple projects and teams and work independently in a fast-paced, highly interactive environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively with people, internally and externally is required
- Must be self-motivated, organized, capable of working independently as well as in a collaborative/group environment
- Should possess strong oral and written communication skills
- Good judgment and innovation to achieve a solution within standard practices and procedures.
- Experience with global teams, especially Spanish- and French-speaking, a plus