Research Associate III, Upstream Process Development
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is a leading, clinical-stage gene therapy company founded in 2001 based on the work of adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy visionary and pioneer, Jude Samulski, PhD. Since that time, our commitment to developing life-saving medicines that can potentially cure genetic diseases has never wavered.
At AskBio, we’ve built a foundation of therapeutic programs, AAV manufacturing and a rich portfolio of patented technology. Our therapeutic focus includes neuromuscular, central nervous system, cardiovascular and metabolic diseases with clinical trials underway for Pompe disease, Parkinson’s disease, and congestive heart failure. Our gene therapy platform includes Pro10™, an industry-leading proprietary cell line manufacturing process, and an extensive AAV capsid and promoter library.
We became a wholly-owned, independently operated, subsidiary of Bayer AG in late 2020 as a cornerstone of its newly formed Cell & Gene Therapy (CGT) platform. Our global headquarters is in Research Triangle Park, NC. Additionally, we have significant operations in Philadelphia, PA, Columbus, OH, Scotland, France, and Spain.
Our vision: Pioneering science to create transformative molecular medicines.
Our mission: Lead innovative science and drive clinical outcomes to transform people’s lives.
- Advance innovative science by pushing boundaries.
- Bring transformative therapeutics to patients in need.
- Provide an environment for employees to reach their fullest potential.
- Be a Pioneer. We are not afraid of the impossible and to innovate to make gene therapies accessible to those in need.
- Cultivate Collaboration. Strive to be the best teammate, actively listen, openly communicate, and embrace diverse points of view.
- Embrace Responsibility. We are humbled by the enormity of our mission. We hold a relentless commitment to advance science and clinical outcomes for our patients, families, and caregivers.
- Raise the Bar. Continuously drive improvements and efficiencies. Seek and provide constructive feedback. Have a bias for learning and action.
- Act with Uncompromising Integrity. Be honest, transparent, and committed to doing what’s right in every situation. Make clear commitments and follow through.
We have an opportunity for a Research Associate III, Upstream Process Development to join the AskBio team and be part of our continued success!
The Research Associate III, UPD at AskBio will report to the Sr. Scientist/Scientist, Upstream Process Development, will contribute towards the development upstream (cell culture) processes for production of recombinant Adeno-associated viral (rAAV) vector gene therapies. This position will work on upstream process development, scale-up, optimization, characterization, and transfer of projects. This position is based in AskBio’s Headquarters facility in RTP, NC.
- Support upstream bioprocess development activities including mammalian cell culture, scale-up/scale down, technology development, media development & process optimization studies.
- Assess and interpret experimental data.
- Contribute to development of robust, scalable, transferable processes for upstream production of rAAV clinical gene therapy vectors.
- Excellent team player and work with the team for the development of robust, high performing upstream processes with emphasis on transferability to cGMP manufacturing and supports regulatory filings.
- Contribute to scientific writing and present results at scientific meetings.
- Contributes to building a culture that embraces continuous learning, innovation while encouraging team members to expand their technical skills and deepen their gene therapy expertise.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Immunology, Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Virology or a related field and 6+ years of relevant experience or; Masters in a relevant field preferred and 4+ year of experience
- Basic lab skills such as adhering to biosafety and chemical use guidelines (training provided) and making reagents at desired dilutions or concentrations.
Preferred Experience and Skills
- Knowledge and working experience with cell culture process development in mammalian cells, process scale-up, bioreactor design and optimization, and transient transfection.
- Knowledge of viral gene therapy (AAV vectors preferred); background in protein and/or viral vector engineering.
- Knowledge of media development, fed-batch, perfusion, etc. cell culture methodologies.
- Strong organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to present ideas, information and data effectively via one on one discussions, team meetings and collaborative interactions.
- Ability to work both independently and in a fast-paced team-oriented setting.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, work planning, data analysis and record keeping skills (with strong attention to detail).
- Hands on knowledge of DOE, JMP, FlowJo and GraphPad statistical software for use in design of technology development studies.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel).
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected status prohibited under Federal, State or local laws. All employment decisions are based on valid job‐related requirements. If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our website, you may request a reasonable accommodation to express interest in a specific opening by calling us at (919) 561-6210 or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.