Research Associate (in vivo)
We are a gene therapy company changing lives with every genetic advancement.
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is a leading, clinical-stage gene therapy company founded in 2001 based on the work of adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy visionary and pioneer, Jude Samulski, PhD. Since that time, our commitment to developing life-saving medicines that cure genetic diseases has never wavered.
As the only end-to-end gene therapy company in the industry, we’ve built a foundation of therapeutic programs, AAV manufacturing and a rich portfolio of patented technology. Our therapeutic focus includes neuromuscular, central nervous system, cardiovascular and metabolic diseases with clinical trials underway for Pompe disease, Parkinson’s disease and congestive heart failure. Our gene therapy platform includes Pro10™, an industry-leading proprietary cell line manufacturing process, and an extensive AAV capsid and promoter library.
We became a wholly owned, independently operated subsidiary of Bayer AG in late 2020 as a cornerstone of its newly formed Cell & Gene Therapy Platform. Our global headquarters are in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, a thriving biotechnology hub, and we maintain additional research and development operations in Scotland and France and gene therapy manufacturing in Spain.
We have an opportunity for a Research Associate (in vivo) to join the AskBio team in our Research Triangle Park (Durham), NC location and be part of our continued success!
About the role
The Research Associate will assist and perform a variety of routine technical procedures related to the execution of animal studies, including animal identification, breeding, dosing, surgical procedures, monitoring animal behavior, euthanasia, and collecting and processing specimens for laboratory analysis.
Responsibilities and accountabilities
- Support project teams by providing in vivo dosing of vectors, capsids and therapeutic cassettes to optimize the delivery system for gene therapy
- Monitoring and reporting animal behavior to research teams
- Collection and processing of tissues at necropsy for further ex vivo biochemical analysis
- Prepare study protocols and test plans according to projects requirements
- Maintain detailed record keeping of experiments
- Must be self-motivated, organized, capable of working independently, as well as in a collaborative/group environment
- Basic animal handling techniques, dosing by multiple routes, and precise record keeping required. Ability to accurately follow written protocols is required
- Demonstrated proficiency in intravenous administration in mice and rats is required
- Demonstrated experience with stereotaxic surgery and animal behavior is preferred
- Experience with gene therapy and AAV biology will be considered as a plus
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Should possess strong oral and written communication skills
- Good judgment and innovation to achieve a solution within standard practices and procedures
- BS in Animal Science or related field with at least 3-5 years hands-on experience
- Ability to work among multiple projects and teams and work independently in a fast-paced, highly interactive environment
- Excellent communication skills with the proven ability to build open and collaborative relationships and work effectively as a member of a multidisciplinary team
Live an AskLife™
We offer a competitive total rewards package. Are you our next great discovery?