Research Associate, Non-Clinical Manufacturing
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is a privately held, clinical-stage gene therapy company founded in 2001 based on the work of adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy pioneers, Jude Samulski, PhD, and Xiao Xiao, PhD. We are driven to change lives with every clinical advancement and turn hope into cures with new possibilities for genetic medicine. We currently have clinical trials ongoing for late-onset Pompe disease and congestive heart failure.
AskBio is headquartered in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, a thriving biotechnology hub, and has additional research and development facilities in Edinburgh, Scotland, and gene therapy manufacturing in San Sebastian, Spain.
We are excited for our next RESEARCH ASSOCIATE – NON-CLINICAL MANUFACTURING to join the AskBio team!
About the role:
The purpose of the Research Associate Non-Clinical Manufacturing position is to manufacture and assist in analytical characterization of research and GLP-grade recombinant adeno-associated virus (rAAV) vectors. The rAAV vectors manufactured by the scientist will support capsid technology development, intellectual property portfolio and progression of internal and external early stage gene therapy programs.
The Associate will provide the planning, timeline and execution of manufacturing, along with coordination of analytical release assay testing for the rAAV vectors needed for multiple projects. The successful candidate will have a bachelor’s or master’s degree in chemical engineering, chemistry/biochemistry, or biology, and have a working knowledge of biologics manufacturing. This position requires planning, coordination of groups, raw materials, supplies and execution of small and large-scale manufacturing campaigns with the ability to evaluate and report the results to colleagues.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Work with fellow scientists, collaborators and upper management to forecast and develop manufacturing timelines, strategies etc. to support technology and early-stage clinical program development
- Responsible for rAAV vector manufacturing for research and GLP-grade studies to support rAAV technology improvements and progression of early stage gene therapy programs
- Support process development activities for development and optimization of improved processes
- Ordering raw materials, supplies, equipment, management of inventory, manufacturing rAAV vectors using shaker flasks, WAVE bioreactors and stir tank bioreactors, filtration and chromatography technologies along with some analytical testing
- Evaluate and summarize manufacturing and analytical results
- Support process development activities, technology transfer and training, internal and external manufacturing and analytical development activities
- Prepare internally reviewed manufacturing reports and make oral presentations to scientists and management
- BS or MS degree in a biological or engineering discipline (biotechnology, chemistry/biochemistry, chemical/biochemical engineering, or equivalent)
- Experience in laboratory research, biologics manufacturing and a desire to continue in a laboratory-focused role
- 1-3 (or 2-5) years of experience in bioprocess manufacturing and technology transfer, preferably in rAAV and/or recombinant protein/biomolecule bioprocess manufacturing. Experience with process develop and/or supporting analytics is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to generate results and innovative solutions with minimum supervision
We offer a competitive total rewards package. Are you our next great discovery?