Scientist I/II, Gene Editing
Scientist I/II, Gene Editing
We are a gene therapy company changing lives with every genetic advancement.
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is a leading, clinical-stage gene therapy company founded in 2001 based on the work of adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy visionary and pioneer, Jude Samulski, PhD. Since that time, our commitment to developing life-saving medicines that cure genetic diseases has never wavered.
As the only end-to-end gene therapy company in the industry, we’ve built a foundation of therapeutic programs, AAV manufacturing and a rich portfolio of patented technology. Our therapeutic focus includes neuromuscular, central nervous system, cardiovascular and metabolic diseases with clinical trials underway for Pompe disease, Parkinson’s disease and congestive heart failure. Our gene therapy platform includes Pro10™, an industry-leading proprietary cell line manufacturing process, and an extensive AAV capsid and promoter library.
We became a wholly owned, independently operated subsidiary of Bayer AG in late 2020 as a cornerstone of its newly formed Cell & Gene Therapy Platform. Our global headquarters are in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, a thriving biotechnology hub, and we maintain additional research and development operations in Scotland and France and gene therapy manufacturing in Spain.
We have an opportunity for a Scientist I/II, Gene Editing to join the AskBio team in our Research Triangle Park (Durham), NC location and be part of our continued success!
About the Role
We are seeking a highly motivated scientist to join our growing R&D team. The successful candidate will support our preclinical in vivo gene editing programs in Research and Development. The ideal candidate has in depth knowledge of CRISPR gene editing and gene modulation, DNA repair pathways, cell engineering, genomics platforms and recombinant AAV therapeutics. He/she can execute experimental studies that support the development, characterization, and optimization of therapeutic gene editing candidates.
Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Design and executes gene editing experiments and assays to support therapeutic proof of concept and safety outcomes.
- Use relevant rodent or non-human primate models to test hypothesis and characterize gene editing/therapy candidates in development
- Guide junior research team members and work with internal cross-functional teams and external collaborators.
- Identify and support emerging technical approaches and platforms that may drive increased value for pipeline programs.
- Prepare and review protocols, laboratory reports, and manuscripts for publication.
- Train or work closely with other lab-based personnel within R&D, translational medicine, and product development to ensure optimal laboratory environment (collaboration, culture, safety, etc.)
- Demonstrate initiative, teamwork, collaboration, and technical expertise as an independent and team player.
- Follow best practices for data integrity complying with organization and company standard operating procedures in a timely fashion.
- PhD in molecular biology, cell biology or related discipline with significant experience in gene editing and gene therapy.
- Expertise in human/murine preclinical disease models and related experimental work.
- Broad experience with gene editing modalities and techniques, including NGS methods for quantifying gene editing outcomes.
- Experience with recombinant AAV vectors and viral delivery platforms recommended
- Expertise in applying gene editing tools for cell engineering and/or genome-wide screens.
- Prior experience with statistical and genome analytical tools (e.g. GraphPad, R, SnapGene etc.)
- Ability to simultaneously support multiple programs and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Innovative, self-motivated, and detail-oriented with good problem-solving ability
- Must be able to work in BSL2 or more environment.
- Capable of working independently as well as a team contributor or team leader.
- Must possess strong oral and written communication skills.
Live an AskLife™
We offer a competitive total rewards package. Are you our next great discovery?
Equal Opportunity Employer
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected status prohibited under Federal, State or local laws. All employment decisions are based on valid job‐related requirements.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our website, you may request a reasonable accommodation to express interest in a specific opening by calling us at (919) 561-6210 or sending us an email.