Senior Associate Scientist | Phage
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is a privately held, clinical-stage gene therapy company founded in 2001 based on the work of adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy pioneers, Jude Samulski, PhD, and Xiao Xiao, PhD. We are driven to change lives with every clinical advancement and turn hope into cures with new possibilities for genetic medicine. We currently have clinical trials ongoing for late-onset Pompe disease and congestive heart failure.
AskBio is headquartered in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, a thriving biotechnology hub, and has additional research and development facilities in Edinburgh, Scotland, and gene therapy manufacturing in San Sebastian, Spain.
We are excited for our next SENIOR ASSOCIATE SCIENTIST- Phage to join the AskBio team!
About the role:
Seeking an outstanding and highly motivated Senior Associate Scientist specialized in phage display and molecular biology. The candidate will participate as a team player in the isolation and optimization of antibodies/peptides using phage display. A strong foundation in molecular biology and vector cloning is required for this position, with additional experience in phage display and bacterial protein expression strongly desired. This individual must also possess strong communication and collaboration skills, a desire to learn new scientific concepts and domains, and an ability to work directly with scientific staff across multiple disciplines.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Work independently and in teams to develop, implement, and utilize antibody/peptides phage libraries
- Design and construct expression vectors using standard methodologies, such as PCR, Gibson Assembly, and ligation
- Analyze Sanger DNA sequences
- Perform biopanning against protein targets
- Perform mammalian cell culture and transient protein expression
- Characterize phage-derived candidates via ELISA
- Maintain a detailed and organized record of experiments in an electronic notebook
- Organize, summarize, and present data and results at department and project team meetings
- Thorough working knowledge of standard molecular biology techniques (cloning, PCR, site-directed mutagenesis, primer design, Sanger sequencing, plasmid isolation)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong focus on quality and attention to detail
- Possess effective task/time management organizational skills
- Ability to work in small groups as well as independently
- Bachelor’s degree with 2-4 years of industry experience or master’s degree with 0-2 years of industry
- Experience in phage display techniques
- Experience working with DNA analysis software programs, such as SnapGene
- Experience in library design and construction
- Experience with mammalian cell culture and transient protein expression
- Experience with the characterization of antibodies via SPR, ELISA, and cell-based assays
- Familiarity with NGS library construction and data analysis is a plus