Senior/Principal Scientist (UK)
We are a gene therapy company changing lives with every genetic advancement.
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is a leading, clinical-stage gene therapy company founded in 2001 based on the work of adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy visionary and pioneer, Jude Samulski, PhD. Since that time, our commitment to developing life-saving medicines that cure genetic diseases has never wavered.
As the only end-to-end gene therapy company in the industry, we’ve built a foundation of therapeutic programs, AAV manufacturing and a rich portfolio of patented technology. Our therapeutic focus includes neuromuscular, central nervous system, cardiovascular and metabolic diseases with clinical trials underway for Pompe disease, Parkinson’s disease and congestive heart failure. Our gene therapy platform includes Pro10™, an industry-leading proprietary cell line manufacturing process, and an extensive AAV capsid and promoter library.
We became a wholly owned, independently operated subsidiary of Bayer AG in late 2020 as a cornerstone of its newly formed Cell & Gene Therapy Platform. Our global headquarters are in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, a thriving biotechnology hub, and we maintain additional research and development operations in Scotland and France and gene therapy manufacturing in Spain.
We have an opportunity for a Senior/Principal Scientist to join the AskBio team in our Edinburgh, UK location at the Roslin Innovation Centre and be part of our continued success.
This is a senior scientific post with project management accountabilities and potentially line management responsibilities. You will join the rapidly expanding platform R&D team to develop the next generation of gene therapy treatments. The ideal candidate will have a strong grounding in molecular and cellular biology with detailed knowledge of gene transcription and control mechanisms surrounding gene regulation.
- Investigate novel ways to control gene expression for next-generation gene therapy vectors
- Develop new technologies and pipelines to deliver vectorised Ab’s for treating infectious diseases
- Project management and delivery of projects to set timelines
- Setting up in vivo studies with academic partners or CROs
- Co-ordinating with other groups within the company
- Mentor/develop the wider scientific team
Skills and experience
- Experience with mammalian cell/tissue culture and cloning is essential
- Experience with a variety of cellular and molecular biology techniques such as cloning, sequence analysis and manipulation, RT-PCR, transcription profiling, assay development, ELISA, transcription activity assays, etc.
- Diligent recording of data; high attention to detail; experience with ELN and databases
- An understanding of hypothesis-driven experimentation
- Working in a GLP environment
- Innovative and natural problem solver; able to “join the dots” of disparate information
- Confident and clear presentation of data, verbally and through written reports
- Effectively manage workload to meet project deliverables
- Motivated to learn and develop new methods and techniques
This role could suit a PhD-qualified candidate with several years of industry experience behind them. We are seeking individuals with demonstrable “leadership” experience, from an industrial setting.
This is a unique opportunity to join an exciting, rapidly expanding gene therapy company that has a proven history of developing highly effective, life-changing therapies.
You will be joining a highly skilled team with the opportunity to work at the front end of gene regulation and play a vital role in the development of future gene therapy treatments.
You can expect to receive a competitive salary plus additional benefits including bonus, life insurance, critical illness, health, pension, cycle to work, on-site gym, on-site café.
Candidate must have a valid UK work visa/permit.
For a confidential discussion, please contact our retained partner, Keith Tocher, at Abercorn Sinclair at Keith.Tocher@abercornsinclair.com.
About Abercorn Sinclair
Abercorn Sinclair is a specialist, technical recruitment consultancy based in Edinburgh. We provide permanent, interim, and contract services across the science, technology, and engineering sectors.