Vice President – Business Development
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is a privately held, clinical-stage gene therapy company founded in 2001 based on the work of adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy pioneers, Jude Samulski, PhD, and Xiao Xiao, PhD. We are driven to change lives with every clinical advancement and turn hope into cures with new possibilities for genetic medicine. We currently have clinical trials ongoing for late-onset Pompe disease and congestive heart failure.
AskBio is headquartered in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, a thriving biotechnology hub, and has additional research and development facilities in Edinburgh, Scotland, and gene therapy manufacturing in San Sebastian, Spain.
Rapid and continued advancement of our therapeutic programs has led us to seek a VP, Business Development.
The role calls for a proven deal team member who brings an analytical rigor and strategic mindset to transactions. Reporting to the Chief Business Officer, the VP will play a key role in developing our near-term and long-range strategies and executing transactions that are critical to achieving our corporate goals. It is important to note that the business development function lives at the interface of science, medicine, business and law, so candidates will be expected to show strong capabilities across those disciplines.
Direct responsibilities will include supporting/leading corporate strategy development projects, competitive intelligence, supporting/leading due diligence, supporting/leading business development transactions, and financing activities. Keen insights in these areas will help us position existing programs in this rapidly evolving gene therapy market and identify opportunities to expand our pipeline and product portfolio.
This role will take a top-management perspective applying his/her experience and knowledge for the sake of bringing maximum benefit to patients and creating outstanding value for the company’s shareholders.
He/she will bring cross-functional leadership and collaboration to ensure alignment, ideation and implementation and will work closely with the executive leadership team in a nimble and fast-moving environment. Demonstrating leadership as it relates to our culture and values are paramount for this role.
He/she will also serve as a key player with external constituents including thought leaders and partners. Responsibilities will also include developing a significant external network with key industry leaders in pharma, biotech and academia.
Reports to: Chief Business Officer
Matrix Reports: Business Development analyst and associates
Other Key Relationships: Executive team
- Support/lead critical business development transactions from start to finish, as well as post-closing alliance management
- Creation of detailed financial models in support of transactions, marketing and corporate strategy projects
- Support development, implementation and maintenance of overall company business development strategy focused on optimizing key value drivers across the organization
- Consistent interface with senior management across disciplines in the company
- Support the creation of/or further enhance the following key functions:
- Competitive intelligence, as it relates to the AAV gene therapy marketplace, to shape and inform the current and future Research & Development strategy
- Pipeline analytics and pre-commercial activities, including new product planning, market access, and health economics and outcomes research strategies. Develop and implement comprehensive, rational and cohesive marketing plans across the company’s pipeline
- Alliance management, ensuring healthy, transparent, and solution-oriented interactions with key partners
- Program/portfolio management functions, providing cross-functional support to programs, ensuring clarity around inflection and decision points, and creating a portfolio analysis and managing activity to maintain alignment with corporate strategy
- Support the corporate culture by modeling the best of professional behavior in fast-moving, often high-pressure situations
- Present and debate business rationale, analyses and proposals with the senior executives and Board; interface with senior management to reach decisions
- Identify and target prospective partner companies and build and maintain relationships with those counterparts
- Minimum 7+ (VP) years of industry experience with a successful track record working in a business development role
- Ph.D. molecular biology or other scientific fields of study related to gene therapy is required, MBA is highly preferred
- Deep knowledge of the industry, conversant from early R&D approaches through product development and regulatory
- Successful track record of projects across corporate strategy and business development transactions
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to and support the formulation of business development strategy, identification of external opportunities consistent with the corporate strategy, structure, negotiate, and consummate business development transactions
- Well-developed internal partnering skills to interface and collaborate across multi-disciplinary teams, including scientific, legal, finance and manufacturing
- Ability to recruit, inspire, mentor and develop great people. Proven skills in employee development in the context of a team-based approach and evolving company culture
.Compensation and benefits
We come to work each day for a purpose greater than the job itself. For that reason, we offer employee benefits that reflect the importance of our work and the quality and skill of our people.
- Highly competitive compensation package
- Collaborative and inclusive culture
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- 401(k) plan with company match
- Health and dependent care flexible spending account
- Life insurance
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- 4 weeks of paid time off
- 10 paid company holidays
- 5 days annual sick leave
- Business casual
- Career advancement
- On-site gym and beautiful walking paths